For the first time in USGA history, the U.S. Open® and the U.S. Women’s Open® Championships were held on the same golf course, Pinehurst No. 2, in consecutive weeks starting with the U.S. Open, June 12-15 and the U.S. Women’s Open, June 19-22.
The back-to-back U.S. Opens are now history, and an unqualified success. For highlights and some follow-up summaries, please visit the links below.
Martin Kaymer wins 2014 US Open. http://cbsprt.co/1pEhBJ5
Wie's dramatic putt on 17 puts her -2 for the tournament and gives her the victory at the U.S. Women's Open. http://ow.ly/yl6Ur
Both Opens at Pinehurst No.2 an unqualified success. http://ow.ly/ylgsk
Pinehurst's back-to-back US Open golf tournaments a triumph. http://bit.ly/1rDkkUl
US Open doubles its pleasure at Pinehurst, but here's some advice: Skip the sequel. http://bit.ly/1pSoc4L
Pinehurst No. 2
From the PGA Championship in 1936 and the Ryder Cup in 1951 to the U.S. Open Championship in 1999, 2005 and now 2014, Pinehurst No. 2 has had the privilege of hosting some of golf’s most prestigious events. By hosting the U.S. Women’s Open Championship in 2014, Pinehurst No. 2 will become the only course to ever host the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open, U.S. Amateur and U.S. Women’s Amateur Championships. With a legacy of championship golf dating back over 100 years, it’s no wonder that golfers around the world place Pinehurst No. 2 at the top of their must-play lists.
Donald Ross, the father of golf course architecture, designed Pinehurst No. 2 by blending the links course style of his homeland in Scotland with the unique topography of the North Carolina Sandhills. The resulting fusion produced what would become Ross’ signature design elements. Turtleback greens that require pinpoint accuracy to avoid runoff into treacherous wiregrass rough. Ross believed in providing golfers with strategic choices, and Pinehurst No. 2 was intended to epitomize that philosophy. In February of 2010, the design firm of Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw began to restore the natural and strategic characteristics that were the essence of Ross’s original design. The project included the removal of about 35 acres of turf and the reintroduction of hardpan, natural bunker edges and native wire grasses.