National Register Adds 12 North Carolina Historic Places
The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources is pleased to announce that 12 individual properties and districts across the state have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The properties, including Firleigh Farms in Moore County, were reviewed by the North Carolina National Register Advisory Committee and were subsequently approved by the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Officer and forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register.
“The National Register is a vital tool in the preservation of North Carolina’s historic resources,” said Susan Kluttz, Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. “North Carolina is a leader in the nation’s historic preservation movement. When all of the buildings in historic districts classified as contributing to the districts’ significance are counted, it is estimated that North Carolina has approximately 73,300 National Register properties.”
The listing of a property in the National Register places no obligation or restriction on a private owner using private resources to maintain or alter the property. Over the years, various federal and state incentives have been introduced to assist private preservation initiatives, including tax credits for the rehabilitation of National Register properties. As of Jan. 1, 2014, 3,000 rehabilitation projects with total estimated expenditures of $1.7 billion have been completed.
Firleigh Farms, Southern Pines
Firleigh Farms, which comprises the 1923 Colonial Revival-style house, garage/servants’ quarters, and residual acreage, is significant for its association with Augustine and Jeanette Reid Healy. Mr. and Mrs. Healy as a couple and Mr. Healy individually are important for their contributions to the development of foxhunting and equine sport in Moore County and in Southern Pines especially. Mr. and Mrs. Healy were avid equestrians, prominent members of the Moore County Hounds, and were heavily involved in efforts by the Moore County Company to establish the Moore County Hunt Lands.