The Heart of Pinehurst
Most mornings find the Given Outpost flooded with natural light, the scent of coffee beans, and the happy chatter of friends and neighbors. This bright and airy space has been a gathering place since it was built as a New Deal post office in 1934. Until the ’70s, there was no home mail delivery in Pinehurst, and residents would visit their postal boxes — and each other — daily at the busy brick building.
After the postal service moved out in 2011, an outpost of Given Memorial Library moved in, trading stamps for stacks of donated books. Today, the Given Book Shop supports library programs and shares space with the Roast Office coffee shop. And on special occasions, the bookshelves are wheeled away, making room for wedding receptions, military retirements, and anniversary parties — the building continuing, after all these years, to connect the community.
Part of a Photo Essay in May 2018 issue of Our State
Written By Katie Saintsing • Photography By Emily Chaplin & Chris Council
The old post office which houses the Given Outpost book shop and the Roast Office coffee shop is found at 95 Cherokee Road in the Village of Pinehurst.