Opened in September 2023, the Carthage Aviation Museum is the only one devoted exclusively to flying and flight history in Moore County. Founded by lifelong aviator and enthusiast, Roland Gilliam, the museum is a treasure trove of aviation artifacts, model airplanes and real airplanes spanning decades of flight history. The museum is located a quarter mile away from the famous Pik n Pig restaurant which is located at Gilliam – McConnell Airfield, also owned by Gilliam.

The museum is a collection of aviation history collected by Gilliam across his lifetime. One of the planes he showcases in the hanger portion of the museum was used in the movie “Aviator.” The star of the movie, Leonardo DiCaprio sat in the plane during the filming. You’ll also learn about Carthage’s James Rogers McConnell, a famous World War I pilot whose mural is depicted in downtown Carthage, and the museum’s namesake.

The museum is open on weekends from 10am-3pm. The location of the museum is 832 Dowd Rd. in Carthage.

Union Station Railroad Museum

The Union Station Railroad Museum in Aberdeen seeks to preserve the Union Station Depot and to preserve and exhibit artifacts and memorabilia collected from the community, the Aberdeen and Rockfish Railroad Company, and other railroad enterprises that passed through Union Station or operated in the surrounding region.

Built circa 1900, Union Station features Victorian architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The station was designed by T.B. Creel. The museum features railroad exhibits and artifacts from the Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad and one of only two inspection cars left in the U.S. A renovated caboose sits on tracks nearby. Located on the corner of Main Street and Sycamore Street.

Open Saturday’s from 8am-1pm or by appointment, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. weekdays.  Please contact Elmer Pearsol 615-336-9714 or Bob Martin at (910) 757-0161 for an appointment.

Admission is FREE.


Location:

100 East Main Street
Aberdeen, NC 28315

Mailing Address:

PO Box 785
Aberdeen, NC 28315

About Sandhills Central Railroad Club

The Sandhills Central Railroad Club was founded in 1979 by a group of railroad enthusiasts and modelers who shared a common love of railroads and railroad modeling. Currently the club has dismantled the layout that was in the basement of the Campbell house in Southern Pines which had been operated there since 1987. The club moved some of the layout to the Aberdeen Union Station in 2007 and is currently operating but undergoing continued construction and modification. The Aberdeen layout depicts portions of Main, South, and Poplar streets, in addition to State routes US 1 and US 5.

The Old Hardware Antiques

If quality antiques are your passion or your trade, you will not be disappointed with a visit to The Old Hardware.

Having been in business at this same location for more than thirty – five years, The Old Hardware has established a reputation for offering outstanding country and formal furniture and accessories at reasonable prices. Ranging from blue-decorated stoneware, pottery, and painted furniture to Staffordshire, Imari, and period English pieces, our inventory is sure to please the discriminating buyer.

The restored 1920’s brick building, once the center of Cameron’s agricultural trade, lends itself to inviting displays in a vintage atmosphere. With two floors of Antiques to browse, a visit will surely be a memorable experience.

About Cameron

Located in the heart of the Carolina Sandhills, home of the long leaf pine, world-class golf and top equestrian activities, Cameron, North Carolina is a small farming town, proud to be included in the National Register of Historic Sites.

Born of a Plank Road, nurtured by a Railroad, and spurred on by the turpentine and dewberry industries, Cameron prospered in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The dewberry industry played an important role in this prosperity. Hundreds of acres of Dewberries were cultivated and shipped by rail to northern markets where, being larger and sweeter than a blackberry, they were very much in demand. Cameron hustled and bustled during the busy harvest seasons. All hotels were filled for auctions and fairs, and the town lived up to its name, The Dewberry Capital of the World.

Though the trains no longer stop as they pass through the town and dewberries are not grown on a large scale anymore, Cameron has become a destination for serious collectors, decorators, trades persons, and those just interested in local history.

Cameron was voted “Best Antique Area in North Carolina” by Our State Magazine, and “Best Antique Area in Moore County” by The Pilot Newspaper. Also featured in Southern Living Magazine, Cameron boasts several antique shops and is well worth the visit. Plan your trip soon to spend the day, enjoy lunch, and have a great antiquing experience.

Discovery Place Kids conjures curiosity and activates the imagination through rich play experiences that allow kids to be creative and explore their world. 

Old Sport & Gallery was founded out of Tom Stewart’s love and passion for the game of golf.

The Old Sport & Gallery is part art gallery, bookshop, and memorabilia museum of all that makes golf great. Stewart has published and/or written three best selling books on the art and history of the game and is now working on a fourth.

Given Memorial Library and Tufts Archives

From its earliest days, the Village of Pinehurst has had a lending library. For nearly seventy years, the library was provided through the benevolence and good will of the Tufts family. The location and number of volumes varied season by season, and in 1963-1964, the library had dwindled to a few shelves, and was located in the Casino building. Then, at the urging of Eric Nelson, Sarah Given Larson was moved to create a lasting treasure in honor and memory of her parents, John L. and Irene Heinz Given. With her endowment, and a gift of land on the Village Green by Richard S. Tufts, the Given Memorial Library was born. Ten years later, the Tufts Archives was created through an endowment from the Tufts Family Foundation and another gift of land, both engineered by Richard S. Tufts. The Pinehurst history museum was added to the library building. Now the Given Memorial Library is decades-old, and is a central and beloved part of the Village, and the Tufts Archives is known throughout the world for the quality and uniqueness of the collection.

The Village of Pinehurst took ownership of the management of the Given Memorial Library and Tufts Archives in April 2022.

This wonderful old cabin has been the proud home of the Sandhills Woman’s Exchange since 1923. We are a member of the Federation of Woman’s Exchanges, the longest running women’s volunteer organization in the country.

Come Eat and Shop at this Historic Log Cabin! Gift Shop Open 10 am – 3 pm. Lunch 11:00 am – 2 pm. Closed Sunday and Monday.

We are a national organization of Woman’s Exchanges whose goal is to help members of our community achieve economic stability through consignment and sale of fine-quality, hand-crafted items.

The Federation’s mission is to provide mutual support and cooperation among its network of members and to provide a way to exchange ideas and business practices.

The Early History of the Sandhills Woman’s Exchange

In 1922, a small group of women joined together based on a need and a desire. The need was the women and families of the Sandhills. Life was hard in the rural counties. Poverty was common. Health conditions poor. Paved roads were few. Telephones mostly non-existent and country women rarely left their homes. That was the need. The desire was how to help these women.

Having admired the locally made quilts, rugs, coverlets and other handcrafted items, along with the abundance of jams, jellies, preserves and canned goods at the Sandhills Fair in 1922, Katherine TuckermanMolly Lovering and Darthea Cowgill knew the Sandhills needed a Woman’s Exchange. The Federation of Woman’s Exchanges was an organization begun in the 1830’s that arose from the need for women to find a means to earn income. Giving women an outlet to sell their handcrafts and culinary goods was a radical idea at a time when women could not or did not work outside the home.

While Katherine had the organizational skills, Molly was knowledgeable in handcrafts and culinary techniques, and Darthea was practical, with passion and drive. Molly and Darthea became the connection to, and the delivery service for, the rural women. Driving miles along rutted, sandy country roads, they established relationships and friendships with the women, teaching them new crafts and processes for preserving, and if needed, providing them with the supplies to create goods to sell.

More women were drawn to the idea of an exchange, and on May 2, 1923, they met to discuss formally establishing the Sandhills Woman’s Exchange. They organized, divided duties, secured funds and searched for a place to operate. In the fall of 1923, the SWE began operations on the porch of what was known as the Way House on Pee Dee Road, between Southern Pines and Pinehurst. The season was an outstanding success and thus began the search for a larger space, and with the help of Gertrude Tufts, found a home in the log cabin still occupied today by the SWE.

The SWE log cabin was built in 1823 by James Ray, near his grist mill. The McKenzie family later acquired it for use as a kitchen. When James W. Tufts, developer of Pinehurst, saw it, he was so charmed by it, the McKenzies gave it to him. He moved the one-room cabin to the Pine Grove in the Village in 1896 and had it restored. The cabin had been used as a museum and caretaker’s cottage before his daughter-in-law, Gertrude, initiated the donation of the cabin to the SWE.

For 100 years, hundreds of women have volunteered their time, donated money, solicited funds and gathered supplies to aid the people of the Sandhills. Continuous since they opened their doors, the SWE has remained constant in their mission of “helping others help themselves.” Since 1922, hundreds of women and men have brought their goods, their crafts and their talents to the Exchange to sell, and in return, took home needed monies to their families. Today, the Sandhills Woman’s Exchange continues the mission set 100 years ago by a small group of women who saw a need and had the desire to do something about it. The SWE is proudly one of 15 remaining members of the Federation of Woman’s Exchanges, the oldest continuous charitable organization in the United States.

The Bryant House and McLendon Cabin are open May thru October from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., on the 2nd and 4th Sunday, and by appointment. For more information or to arrange a tour, please email the Moore County Historical Association at info@moorehistory.com or call (910) 692-2051.

The Carthage Historical Museum provides a permanent home for artifacts covering 200 years of local history. There is a large military display and several exhibits reveal the town’s past as the home of a renowned buggy factory, which the town commemorates each May with a popular family festival. The museum is open on Sundays, 2-5 p.m., or by appointment.