10 Great Things To Do
In the Pinehurst, Southern Pines and Aberdeen Area of North Carolina, the Sandhills offers some amazing experiences on and off the golf course. How many of these will you experience on your next visit?
1. Visit the new Pinehurst Brewery. Opened (again) in October 2018, this old steam plant originally opened its doors in 1895! After years of decay, the building has been transformed into a great place for food, fun, music, and of course BEER! Located just a short walk from the heart of the village. Be sure to also visit Railhouse Brewery in Aberdeen, Southern Pines Brewing Company and Southern Pines Growler Company for high quality craft beer made here in the Sandhills.
2. Take a quick trip north to see the Carthage Mural Trail. The three murals are located very close to the county Courthouse in downtown Carthage. The murals depict significant historical references about the town including one about the old buggy factory, another honoring the memory of a World War I flying ace and the third about the tobacco industry.
3. On your way back toward Pinehurst, stop by the Pik n Pig restaurant for lunch or supper. Located at the Carthage Airport, watch private planes land and take off as you sample some of the best BBQ in the Sandhills!
4. Take a historic walking tour of the Village of Pinehurst. This quaint village predates the first golf courses at Pinehurst and was the creation of founder James Walker Tufts. Enjoy local shopping, dining and the history of this original part of the Pinehurst experience.
5. Play Golf! Ok, so who can visit the Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen Area without playing at least one round of golf. Of course, Pinehurst Resort is home to the iconic Pinehurst No. 2 and the recently re-opened (October 2018) Pinehurst No. 4, but this area is home to more than 30 courses in all, many designed by the legendary Donald Ross and other notable architects.
6. Take a Pinehurst Clubhouse tour. A stroll down the hall of the main clubhouse is a walk through golf history. See several displays, including one commemorating the historic win by Payne Stewart in the 1999 United States Open. At the end of the hallway, go outside to watch golfers complete their round as they try to match Stewart’s legendary putt to win the Open, then take your picture next to Payne’s stature that captures the “One Moment in Time” fist pump.
7. Shop and eat your way through downtown Southern Pines. This is a great walking downtown area with a wide variety of local shops and unique restaurants. The town is also very dog-friendly, so don’t be shy if you want to bring along your furry friend to enjoy all of the fun.
8. Enjoy a Halotherapy session at Southern Salt Room in Southern Pines, designed to to help you breathe and live better. Follow up your session with kombucha on tap — added to the business model because, like the salt, it reduces inflammation in the body. A great way to relax and chill out.
9. Take a spin through North Carolina’s historic pottery country, where generations of families still practice the craft of their ancestors. Seagrove Pottery is one of the more famous locations, but Moore County is filled with dozens of artisans.
10. Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Sandhills Horticultural Gardens: 27 acres of patterned English gardens and a native wetland trail. Located on the grounds of Sandhills Community College.